What is Crystal Healing?
A crystal is a solid body with a geometrically regular shape. Crystals were created as the earth formed and they have continued to metamorphose as Earth itself changes. It is said that a crystal can absorb, conserve, focus and emit energy. In the alternative therapy field, it is thought a crystal can cleanse and transmute negative energies. Bringing more positive energy into the body is one main effect of crystal healing. Each crystal is considered as having miraculous properties and different healing benefits.
The History of Crystal Healing
The practice of using crystals to heal has existed since humanity, in the form of amulets and talismans – we have no real way of knowing the earliest date that these objects were used.
- Ancient Egypt –The ancient Egyptians used crystals like lapis lazuli, carnelian, turquoise, clear quartz, and emerald in their amulets and jewellery for health and protection.
- Ancient Greece –Many of the names that we give crystals today originated from the ancient Greek language. Hematite is derived from the Greek word for blood due to the red colour it turns when it oxidises. Soldiers would rub ground hematite on their bodies before battle as they believed it would make them invincible.
- Ancient China –Jade was the favoured healing stone of the ancient Chinese people, and it is still very much valued today. This green stone was recognised by the Chinese for its kidney healing abilities and the colour is thought to bring luck.
- Renaissance period –During the Renaissance period in Europe, which began in the 11th century, precious and semi-precious stones were used alongside herbal remedies to heal the sick.
- The 1980s –A New Age dawned in the 1980s, and the use of crystals and gemstones in healing began to regain popularity. Much of the modern-day practice is drawn from the old methods and adapted to suit our time. We have more information now about how to channel the positive effects of crystals within the body.
Crystals and Chakra Balancing…
Crystals have been used for millennia to heal and bring balance. They work through resonance and vibration, rebalancing the energy points on the body – the chakras. It is said that by bringing the chakras back into balance, many states of physical and psychological disease can be improved.
Certain crystals can be used on the chakra points to heal a person. Judy Hall who has written extensively about crystal healing in the Crystal Bible (2003) states that when healing and balancing the chakras, an appropriate stone is placed on the front or the back of the body, (depending on what feels comfortable) and left for 15 minutes. Stones can be placed on all the chakras or, above the head and below the feet to perform certain tasks.
The table below shows which crystals can be placed on which chakra to receive health benefits:
How can Crystals Help?
Below are the most common crystals used for health and wellbeing:
- Agate – provides emotional and energetic support.
- Aquamarine – facilitates clear communication and allows you to find your voice.
- Amethyst – aids anxiety and stress and opens up your psychic ability.
- Amber – draws disease from the body and allows a deeper connection to nature.
- Morganite – enhances love and also helps the heart to heal.
- Kunzite – allows you to heal from deeply held pain and gets you into the flow of giving and receiving.
- Flourite – helps the mind to find new ways of working and also to learn new things.
- Moonstone – enhances fertility and encourages intimacy.
- Cuprite – supports self-reflection and enables transformational healing.
- Crocoite – assists sexuality and creativity.
- Emerald – promotes divine love and compassion.
Crystals are fascinating, some as old as time. To start exploring their healing effect choose one that attracts your attention and see what happens!
About the Author :- Neelam is an experienced writer on the topics of healing, meditation, manifestation and self-empowerment. She is a highly experienced Psychic Medium and lives in Hertfordshire, England with her children.